Saturday, October 19, 2019

Painting track

After masking the turnout points and spray painting all of the track brown, I tried a few techniques to paint and weather the ties. I have read that the Maine two-footers used untreated (non-creosoted) ties, which calls for a sun-bleached and weathered look. The following photo shows the steps I used: from left to right, drybrushing with white paint, then a heavy india ink/alcohol wash followed by dusting with tan weathering powder from Monroe Models. I applied the powder too heavily, but compensated by scraping the ties to give them some texture, followed by a light application of white powder to the ties to fade them, and finally applying dark rust powder to the spikes and tie plates.


Here's a closer shot of the finished section, temporarily buried in aquarium filter charcoal to approximate the cinders that I plan to use in the engine terminal area. It looks pretty good to my eye so I'll continue using this approach on the rest of the track.


No comments:

Post a Comment