Sunday, October 27, 2019

Trestle abutments

The Mill River trestle will need some stone abutments, so I cast them using lego forms.  The width of the narrowest legos is 26" in HO scale, which is a decent height for abutment blocks. After the plaster set I carved in block lines and gave them a dark wash before shaking them vigorously in a small container with aquarium gravel to polish the edges and give them some more color. The result may be a bit too regular for a narrow gauge road, but I figure that since the railroad's primary customer is a granite quarry, it would have ready access to high-quality stone.


EDIT (November 2):
I eventually decided that the abutment blocks were indeed too regular, in fact they looked more like concrete than granite, so I roughed up the surfaces by tapping them with the tip of a large drill bit and then colored them with weathering powders.  Here's a comparison - the one with the new treatment is on the right:


No comments:

Post a Comment